Wednesday, July 16, 2008

No joke, banana peels are slippery

Right, so you're wondering about the title. I had an epiphany as I sprayed for mosquitoes. My co-workers led me to the back of a house, and wanted me to send some of the fumes down a massive cistern at the back of the property. Problem was, the place they led me was a steep three foot slope. I started to side, massive fumigation machine and all. I quickly caught my balance and decided to jump, because the ground looked nice and level at the bottom. The problem was, I didn't see the banana peels lying on the ground directly where I would land. My feet hit, and for a second I had my balance. Then, the banana peels gave way and took my feet right out from under me. I landed with a thud on my side, cradling the machine, all dignity lost. And no joke, banana peels aren’t just slippery in cartoons.

So much for making a good impression. Still, they said I did a good job, especially for my first time. Perhaps I missed my calling as a pest control agent.

Or not.

When we finished, I was able to speak with some of Alex's co-workers, and some of the workers from the local town. They reminded me, once again, that I was banned from playing soccer in their city by order of Carlos the mayor. (Seriously, that's how Carlos remembers me.) We laughed and joked for awhile, and I shared with them my earnest desire to learn more Spanish. I hope and pray I get the chance to take a class when I return to the states. But still, my Spanish is improving.

I’m loving the opportunities to learn and grow here. God’s helping me to redeem the time well, and to speak of his name even in my cave-man Spanish.